Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Introduction to Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down

Welcome to a new feature on this blog! Normally I wouldn't do a whole post talking about the why's and what's of a feature, but because this isn't like anything I've done here before I thought it would be a good idea to preface it. Basically, thumbs up/thumbs down is going to be a unique rating system used when rating and reviewing a certain type of book. This isn't replacing my old way of reviewing, it's just supplementing it in a way.

So, what's this idea? Well, I'm glad you asked. The basic idea is I go hunting through used books for a book that meets these qualifications:
  1. I've never heard of it
  2. It's a sci-fi or fantasy published before 2000
  3. It has a corny cover
  4. It has a corny description
  5. I can go into it a blank slate with no expectations
Basically, it's a campy old SF&F novel that's probably out of print and may not even be that good. And then I read and review it. How is this a feature or that different from a regular review? Because I'm going into this novel expecting nothing but hoping to have a good time. Even if it's awful I want to read it start to finish and then discuss. And discuss in pretty good detail as if it's a classic novel they might teach in school. Because of this, the reviews are going to look different than normal reviews, also. Structured like:
  1. Anecdotal where I got the book/first impressions
  2. Summary/spoiler filled explanation of what happens in the book
  3. Basic review: did I like it, was I surprised, would I recommend
  4. Detailed discussion, possibly with quotes and proof
So, yes, that's the plan. The first of these will be up tomorrow and I'm hoping to do about one a month maybe. I won't say much about the book yet, but I hope you all stick around to see what this feature turns out to be. And, if you have a book recommendation that you think will fit the qualifications please let me know and I may try to hunt down a copy.

6 comments:

  1. The whole search portion of this sounds like it will be a ton of fun. Looking forward to reading this feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes searching for the books is a blast! I promise the actual first review will be out soon.... hehe I seem to be behind again.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this feature. It's such a great way to discover new books, but also allows you to have fun with the reviewing portion. I will be back to read you review tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been such a fun way to find out of the way novels I'd never find on my own. Haha sorry to have disappointed you but the review WILL be posted SOON I hope (fingers crossed).

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun, Sam! Especially looking for the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been a blast so far... I just got behind again (oops).

      Delete

Thank you so much for commenting! I love to hear from you and try to respond to comments once or twice a week. Thank you for your patience :)